Player Welfare Medical Committee
Player Welfare Medical Committee Strategy & Structure
Vision: For Asia Rugby to be seen as the top region for player welfare in the world.
Mission: To facilitate the sharing and implementation of medical, science and best practice resources while ensuring integrity throughout.
Return To Rugby Roadmap
2019-PlayerWelfare-HighTackleDecision-ENG 07 PDF File
Asia Rugby Return To Rugby Roadmap from COVID19 PDF File
Player Welfare Medical Committee originally known as the Asia Rugby Medical Committee (MedCom) was established in 2013 when medical representatives from Asia Rugby joined together during the WR Medical Commission Conference to share ideas and resources. Since then it has developed and expanded and currently has 12 members actively engaged in working groups under the guidance of a Chief Medical Officer. In 2017 it was renamed as Asia Rugby Player Welfare and Medical Committee (AR PW & MedCom) to reflect the broader scope of cover which includes safeguarding.
In order to achieve our recently revised Vision and Mission statements PW & MedCom plans to introduce a governance system with the following key steps;
- Asia Rugby area is divided into 5 regions in line with the Olympic Asian region recommendations i.e. Central, West, East, South and South-East.
- Each region has a PW & MedCom member elected as Player Welfare & Medical lead.
- These 5 regional leaders are responsible for communicating with each individual Rugby Union player welfare representative (e.g. CMO, Medical Manager or other) within their region to facilitate the sharing of resources and expertise, especially Training & Education
- Regional leaders will then work with individual Unions to prepare a Training & Education (T & E) plan in line with the AR tournament calendar (T&E 2021 Calander )
- The T & E plan will then be discussed with other regional leaders to prepare a consolidated regional plan.
- Unions requiring support to host tournaments will also be identified and assisted. Where possible, T & E sessions will be arranged around a tournament or WR Superweek.
- Research WG is making a study design regarding the concussion and the spinal concussion in Asia Rugby tournament.
World Rugby Players Welfare Site